Monday, March 7, 2011

Breastfeeding Baby Doll

I'm sure that you all know, I study nutrition and medicine. Along with that comes lots of teaching. In subjects that I never really thought of, prior to college. Like fertility, breastfeeding, and L&D. But times change.

So with the teaching that I do, I learn about all sorts of new things. I can sit here and rattle on for days, about breast pumps. I can give you suggestions on how to increase your supply. And give you some tips for weaning.

But this, well I'm not going to lie, stopped me in my tracks!



A breastfeeding doll. For little girls. Huh? I was a little bit "taken aback" when I first heard about it. But then, I stopped to think...

The best part about being the "youngest" out of my friends is, I learn from them. And their kiddos. Like when my Commadre G was breastfeeding her twins. Her young girls would mimic her. Trying to breastfeed their baby dolls. They didn't think it was wrong. No. Because they watched their mommy feed their younger siblings.

Even though she covered up, the girls knew, that was the way the babies were eating. So they would pretend play in the same way. It's not a bad thing. So I understand the reasons for this doll. As do my friends.

That could be why, we just ordered a few. What do you think? I know it's going to wrinkle some feathers. Especially since they're not stateside yet. But they're coming this summer.

Did I mention? One of the clinics I work at, they just ordered 20. Since we promote breastfeeding real babies, they figured why not. We can start making females more comfortable with their bodies. Breastfeeding is not a sexual act. It's a mothering act. ♫

No comments: