Sunday, March 28, 2010

Rained Out



Well, it's official. The NASCAR race was rained out today. Yes, I was ready. Stacks of charts, the boys' lunches, and some crochet. But no deal! The rain came. And Martinsville racing has to wait until tomorrow.

What is that? I watch NASCAR racing at work? Yes I do! Because we have 10 little boys that LOVE it! They live for Sundays. They're all patients who pretty much live at the hospital. Sundays are the highlight of their week. And they can't stand for people to bother them during the race.

Dr. S noticed that the boys always wanted to pile up into one room. And they would get annoyed at nurses who would bother them. They're between 4-8 years old. He also noticed my "Jeff Gordon" scrubs that I wear every Sunday. :) So began my Sundays with the boys...

Every Sunday, we have a full day. When you work in PEDS, Sundays are our "Growth Days." We do the most charting on Sundays. And we make sure our kids are still growing. We have "1st years" that come and do the measurements and weight of every patient in PEDS, PICU, and NICU. I have to analyze them. So why not do it, while taking care of "The Boys."

Now on Sundays, I collect charts of kids that I have to evaluate for nutrition. Then as the measurements are taken, the charts are delivered to me. Then I get to take care of "The Boys." I evaluate and check them throughout the race. The only other person that comes in is Dr. S. And we make our way to one of the big family rooms. It's a room for any family members that decide to stay overnight at the hospital. But it's HUGE! And there is a gynormous TV. So we hangout in there.

All the boys cheer for different drivers. They all try to get me to forget about "Super G." But I refuse. He's my driver. Little M, he is so into Dale Jr. The boy has his hospital room covered in Dale Jr. memorabilia! But we all sit there and cheer for our guys. For the entire race. I usually have to bribe them to eat their lunches. Lunchtime happens to be at the time most of the races begin. And then, they end by dinnertime. Some days are good...some are bad. But we enjoy our Sundays. :)

Until this week. The rain came. And now our race is postponed until tomorrow. I usually go to "Rounds" on Mondays. In the PEDS units, it usually takes the entire morning. Then I go home. But tomorrow, I'll be hanging with "The Boys." Because they insisted. And Dr. S tries to keep the peace in all 3 PEDS units. So tomorrow, I'll be cheering for "Super G." ♫

No comments: