Saturday, April 10, 2010

Missed Events



Today, I'm missing my cousin's wedding. And I feel bad. I mean, it's his wedding. And I'm sure, it's going to be his only wedding. I got the invitation weeks ago. But I can't go. Because I have to work. And I feel super bad, missing this big day.

I think what people don't realize is, I don't get a lot of time off of work. And when I can manage some time off, it's usually at a hefty price tag. Like pulling 2-48 shifts in a row, in one week! Because I average 100 hours a week at the hospital. And there's not a lot of flexibility in my schedule.

Seriously, I go to college full time and I work my internships. I also have to manage some time, during the week, to work at my paying job. So I miss a lot of things. Like my favorite cousin's baby shower, than a year later, her son's 1st birthday. I miss tons of birthday parties, weddings, and even a few holidays. But lots of people don't get it. My parents understand. But there have even been times when they don't.

My family happens to not be that understanding of it. Well, not my entire family. Just one side of my family. But whatever. I try. I try and make it back when I can. And soon, graduations are going to be in full swing. And I'm going to miss those too. Mostly because I have to work. And because I don't find out early enough. Before my schedules are made.

It's sad. Because I miss a lot of family events. But it's hard to work in "time off" for parties, when I'm pleading for "time off" for gigs. You know, the things that help pay my bills. So that's life. All I can do is try. And hope that people understand.

As for my cousin and his bride. I wish them a lifetime of happiness and love. I hope to get to meet Jennifer one day. She seems like a very nice girl. You know, from what I've heard. And I've made them a wedding present. Now to just get their address! ♫

No comments: