Friday, April 2, 2010

Sacrifice



Well, today we're headed to the mountains. I'm so excited! I honestly can't wait to see my Nanie and Tatie. I'm anxious to get to the mountains. And I'm ready to just relax. Most of all, I'm just ready to spend time with my family.

But today I want to talk about Lent. And about the sacrifices we make for Lent. I was someone who would give up all meat, chocolate, and nuts during Lent. Pretty much, I couldn't eat a thing! But I felt like my sacrifices were necessary. And well thought out. Until 2 years ago. When I found out I was severely anemic. It couldn't have happened at a worse time...2 days before Lent. What was I going to do?

So I talked to my priest. And he told me to look at Lent as a time to not sacrifice things...like material objects or food. But to sacrifice my time to do things that would better other people's lives. So I thought for a minute, and I realized what I was going to do.

I started crocheting for charity. This year, I decided to make 2 amis for every day in Lent, and 1 child sized hat. That's 80 amis, and 40 hats. Totally doable. I also decided to go to church more. I go to mass every Sunday. Even though I work on Sundays, I go to the Chapel service at the hospital. I also go on Wednesday afternoons. We have a lunchtime service. And on Tuesday and Thursday nights, I go to mass. Which is fun, because I get to see all of my friends. And 3 of my Goddaughters. :) But I've also made it a point to go on Friday evenings during Lent. We pray the Stations of the Cross.

This year, I totally exceeded my expectations. I made 100 amis, 50 hats, and 10 small blankets. I donated them to the PEDS unit, at a hospital in my hometown. It felt good. So many kids got a new toy to love. And the small sacrifice of time, well it was completely worth it! I even finished early. Before Easter. So I felt especially good.

Do I still wish I could fast during Lent? Yes. I had been doing it since I was 11 years old. But I found a new way to sacrifice, but still give back. Father R is such a special guy. I'm glad that he's our priest. And that God put him in my path. Honestly, I enjoyed having dinner at church. They would feed us after mass on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday nights. Nothing big, just veggie caldito and bread. But it was special.

In the end, the last few years have made me feel really good about myself. I realize now that it's really easy to make someone else smile. And Lent is about more than just personal sacrifice. It's about growing as a person. It's about reconnecting with God. And doing good in the world. ♫

No comments: