Wednesday, May 18, 2011

New Graduate

On Tuesday, I feverishly drove to my hometown. Why? My niece had her "Robing and Awards Ceremony." I got to town about 2 hours prior. My parents and I went to have dinner. Then parked at least a block from the school gym. The gym that I spent so many hours in. You know, fine tuning Cheerleading routines...

We sat through about 2 hours of graduation anticipation. We watched my niece get "Robed." We listened to all the awards and scholarships that were given. Watched part of the 2011 Senior Class Video. Listened to speeches, and performances. Looked at the changes in my old high school. And enjoyed the evening.

Because we couldn't find E, we called. As we walked through the sand. Trying to keep my Dad vertical. And trying to make it back to the van, before it got too dark. We met my nieces at a parking lot. Said a quick hi and bye. And we went our separate ways.

This afternoon, I was like a "Chicken without a Head." Trying to get it all done. A quick run to the Dollar Tree, for party supplies. Two trips to the pharmacy. A literal "run" to Walgreen's for some cards. And a quick drive across the street for flowers. Hello? It took 6 stops to find flowers. But it was worth it!



Why? Because we have a new graduate in our family. My niece, E. She graduate 10 years, and 3 days after I did. From the same high school. Wearing the same royal blue color. Earning the same degree. It was incredible being there.

It was no easy task getting there. There was the idea of finishing up the "work day." Remember all the errands? Getting flowers. Changing clothes. Grabbing a quick dinner. Getting to the ceremony. Standing in the line. Thank God for the handicapped line. All those people. Pushing. Shoving. Just trying to get there. And finally, we sat in our seats. Spent forever looking for anyone we knew. Spent at least 10 minutes trying to find our graduate.

But it was worth it. Such a proud moment. For the entire family. Her Mom, made sure she got to this place. To be a graduate. My parents were such a big part of E's life. I remember all those days, of taking her to school. Heck, I remember helping her with her homework. I wonder if she remembers counting beans in the office? :)

E is a graduate. Forever a member of the class of 2011. A Mustang. And guess what? She was the happiest, I've seen her, in a very long time! I'm glad. She deserves it. She has worked so hard to get to this point. Now, it's time to celebrate her accomplishments!

We have just over 2 weeks to plan her party. In the middle of all of this, I'll be in NC. Working. To come back, and go straight to cooking and cleaning. But out of all of my nieces and nephews...there are no 2 more important to me than, E and N. Yes, these 2 girls mean the world to me! And just think, in 2 years, we'll be doing this for N. I can't wait!

It's so funny. How much I had forgotten about my own graduation. Only to be remembered over the last 2 days. It's an honor to know that my niece and I will forever be graduates of WM. To know that we accomplished such a big task. And made our own footprints in the sand.

Also, a big Congrats to my cousin. Who also graduated tonight. I didn't know he was graduating until last night. But we are all so proud of you! And E, you made us all so proud. Remember to keep chasing after your dreams!

No comments: