Saturday, September 11, 2010

We Will Never Forget



I don't know about you, but I'll never forget September 11, 2001. I was a freshman in college. Literally, I had been in school for just a few weeks. I was living on my own for the first time. And I was 100s of miles from any relatives.

That morning I was running late. Why? I don't really know. But as I went to turn the TV off and run out the door, GMA came on. I'll never forget the look in Diane Sawyer's eyes. It was so scared, and sad. I sat down on my bed and watched. I literally didn't know what to do.

I remember seeing the 2nd plane hit the World Trade Center. And I felt all the air being sucked out of my body. I didn't know what to do. But I had to get to school. As I drove, it looked like a relatively normal day. Except, it was really foggy. Totally odd for the desert.

When I got to school, I turned on a TV in the lobby of the Music Center. And I continued to watch GMA. More students came, as well as professors. And we watched as The White House was evacuated. Shortly, President Bush addressed the nation. We hear that another airplane has hit the Pentagon. And that yet another might be in "serious trouble."

Our professors were white as ghosts. Nobody wanted to move. We didn't know what to do. Or what to expect. Just before 8AM MST, we watched the South Tower collapse. We were numb. Didn't know what to say, or what to think. We knew our country was being attacked.

This should have been the moment we started singing. The moment that our class would have normally started. With 30 something music majors. Too tired to deal with "Ear Training." Instead, we were watching an attack on our country.

Around 8:30AM, we watched the North Tower collapse. We also learned of the crash in Pennsylvania. At this point, our professors took it upon themselves, to cancel our classes. Our university, well was pretty much deserted. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, we were always the 1st department with classes.

I remember getting into my car. And hearing so many sirens. Seeing low flying aircraft. And seeing the National Guard driving down the road in their big military vehicles. I'd actually run into a few guard members, on the way to my car. They were securing our university. And there was also a bomb threat at our local newspaper.

Being that we are located in the middle of so many military bases, it wasn't strange to see the military out and about. But like this, it just sent chills down to your bones. You saw so many emergency vehicles going in all directions. Which was so crazy for our small town. As I got near my home, I figured it would probably be wise to fill up my car with gas. I drove down the deserted street, and I filled up.

Then I headed downtown. I needed a book for the following day. That is, if we were going to have class. I got there just as the owner was closing up shop. He quickly sold me the book. And told me to go home, and to stay there.

I drove to the local Wal-Mart. Maybe not the smartest thing. But I got there, bought lots of water and some food. I had no clue what the next few days would hold. By the time I got home, it was just after 10AM. My nephew, he was nowhere to be found. He had already started to go back home.

Me? I called my parents. They were in a mess. Trying to get students home. Dealing with the chaos. I remember feeling relief. I heard their voices. And I knew they were OK. We hung up. But not before telling each other, that we loved one another. And I turned on the TV.

I watched coverage from that point until 4PM. When I had to go back to school for rehearsal. All classes were cancelled. But not our rehearsal. I remember watching these events unfold. And feeling so sick. So helpless. So lost.

After our rehearsal, I walked outside. And I saw a mass of people. They had gathered in the middle of the field. Praying, singing, and crying. Everyone had candles. I joined in. And all I could think about was my best friend. I knew she was going on a trip to NYC that day. I prayed that she was OK. But I hadn't talked to her.

I'll never forget that day. Or the days following. The feeling of patriotism. The constant crying when I watched the TV coverage. How alone I felt. It was scary. And I was so sick to my stomach, that so many people lost their lives.

I see today as a time to stop and reflect. To think about that day. And to celebrate the innocent lives that were lost. All those people who had no idea what was happening. To the heroes that died trying to do good. September 11, 2001 was a day that has forever changed us. But it's a day to remember and reflect. It's a day to remember loved ones. To remember the lives that were cut short. It's a day to say God Bless America. We're still the land of the free, and the home of the brave. ♫

No comments: