Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day





This song, since I was an itty bitty girl, reminded me of my Daddy. I used to sing it to my Dad. All those years ago. I remember my Mom buying me the tape, with this song. And I played it over and over. Years later, this would become my favorite song, to sing in the band.

Even way back then, I knew I had a very special Daddy. A Daddy who loved me so very much. That he would do anything for me. Which included all those Barbies, violin lessons, and school trips. But part of my Dad's love, it also included lots of discipline. I'll be the first one to tell you, I'm so grateful for that. At the time, I was scarred of the paddle. I knew when I was in trouble. I knew that I was in for it. But it made me a better person.

As a small child, I also learned the lessons of hard work. Not many kids learn this, as early as I did. Walking up at 4AM to go to Auntie C's house, or Daycare. Seeing my parents work hard. Watching my Dad's literally bleed from hard work. All the hours and hours, that he put into supporting our family. I'll never forget that.

I can tell you so many stories about my Dad. Fun adventures. Even silly things like buying 3 cases of tomato sauce...when my Mom sent us for a can. 1 can! Or distracting another customer at Wal-Mart, so I could get a few packs of notebook paper, from their basket. Come on, they had 2 cases. I just needed 2 packs. :)

Not everything about our relationship has been easy. But I'm grateful for it. I'm so thankful to God, that he gave me my Daddy. The man that loves me. Just because I'm me. Not for any special reasons. I've always known that he loves me and my Mom. And I'm so thankful that as an adult, I'm so much closer to my parents.

I've been so lucky. I've had parents that have seriously supported me. With everything that I've set out to accomplish. Whether it has been moral support for school, or encouragement for my music. I've been lucky. What other Dad, would sit and listen to their daughter, crying on the phone, at 3AM? Not many. But my Dad has been so supportive. Giving me wisdom. Offering advice. Even when I didn't particularly want it...or feel like I needed it.

This year, it's been tough. The last 6 months, they've really tested us. In so many ways. But I'm so thankful to God, for giving me my Dad. For allowing me to be here, when he's needed me the most. And whatever it is, I'll be there for my parents. I owe them so much.

Just 6 months ago, I was pleading with God. Asking for just a little more time. More time with my Daddy. I know that unlike many people, I won't have my Daddy for a long time. He's older than most. But every precious moment that God gives us, I'm so grateful for.

I think about it often. What am I going to do without my Daddy? I'm not sure. But I do know this much, he's given me so much. So much to comfort me, when I need it. Knowledge that will lead me, when he is no longer with me. Love that will always be in my heart.

There are certain things that I wish for. I wish that one day, my Daddy will give me away. That he'll know, I've found a good man, to share my life with. I'd be over the moon, to share my kids with my Daddy. To see the joy that his grandchildren could bring him.

I could go on and on. But more than anything, I want to celebrate, honor, and love my Daddy today. I want him to know, God couldn't have given me a better Dad. My Dad is not just my Dad. He's my best friend. I just hope that he has many more years of love, happiness, and health ahead of him. Happy Father's Day Sunshine! Love, Your Morning Glory!

No comments: