Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Lesson Learned

When I was 16, and a junior in high school, I signed up for a music class. It sounded wonderful! I'd have 3 electives, 2 of which were music classes! This class was supposed to be about ear training, writing music, and learning about music history.

In all reality, we just watched a lot of movies. With really good music. For 90% of the time. But we always knew 1 thing, we'd have to write a song for our final exam. We were told this in August. And we'd have to perform this song, or have someone else perform it for us, in May.

I don't think many of us thought about it. At least until January. It was always at the back of my mind. But I rather enjoyed it, way back there. Then 2 days before our recital, I realized, I had no song.

Yes, I had waited all that time. Not without a plan. Because there was a piece that I was working on. In my violin lessons. I didn't like that song. And I would always make up my own music, on page 3, 10 bars in. My teacher wasn't too thrilled about that. But it got me through my lessons. And eventually, I was given a different piece to learn.

That was the melody I'd use. As inspiration. The one I had made up at bar 10. The one I always got in trouble for. Honestly, I never put pencil to paper. Never had a better plan than that. Didn't practice. Wasn't worried. In the end, it all worked out beautifully. The song was amazing. I received a standing ovation.

But I couldn't repeat it. Not even if my life were at stake. My parents recorded it. With about 15 other families. But I couldn't repeat 10 bars of my composition...



Now 12 years later, I've realized something. You can't put things off. You simply can't put off what can be done today...for tomorrow. That much, I've learned.

And as I pulled out of my driveway this morning, I realized something important. I'm glad I don't put things off anymore. Why? And how does this story all tie up together?

Well, the "Codes Man" was out. At 6AM. Notebook, computer thing, and pen. Happily walking the street, writing tickets, leaving notices, and doing whatever else he does.

I saw neighbors scrambling. You know, trying to get out to their yards. Making an effort to clean, before he got to their home. And I was so happy, to not be them. To know, that just days ago, I cleaned my yard.

Sure, at the time, I had wanted to sleep. To rest. To be lazy. To recover from the graduation party, and the wedding. And to be cool. Instead of sweating in triple digit weather. But I worked. And this morning, I was glad I did.

For me, there are no fines. No notices. None of that. Back in February, a lady was arrested for not keeping up with her property. Crazy! But they're strict out here. And we all know it. We just have to stay on top of. Honestly, I'm glad those crazy days of procrastination are long behind me.

Instead, I'm at work. Getting the payroll ready. Snacking on some pecans and a smoothie. Dogs at my feet, beautiful flowers on my desk, and an easy feeling about my day. It really does pay to work hard first, and play hard later. I'm just happy that I was 1 step ahead of my buddy...the "Codes Man." ♫

No comments: