Monday, June 13, 2011

I Can Count on Him



It's really funny. The last person I thought I could count on, has really been here for me. If you would have told me this 2 years ago, when we barely muttered hi to one another, I would have laughed! But in the last year, My Music Man, has really stepped up his game.

Let's just talk about the last 48 hours...

Yesterday, I had planned on cleaning my yard. Let's not even talk about the disaster I found, when I got home. You know, last week, we had the graduation party. And I was gone for a few days. I should know better. But when I got home, I found almost all my flowers were dead. The grass was yellow! Triple digit temps are literally killing me.

And for anyone that lives around here, they know that Codes Enforcement is all over these things. So I needed to clean. And I had a crap load to clean! And only days to do it in. Because I'm going back to my hometown, later this week.

My neighbor...well she was on her 3rd day of partying. At 11AM, on a Sunday morning. The street was lined with cars. And I didn't want to "ruffle any feathers." So I put off the cleaning. Because we share a fence. And I really respect her parents. They no longer live there, but they own the house.

So I went in my house. And tried to occupy my time with something else. Until I heard bottles breaking. I found that the party-ers were throwing their beer bottles into my backyard. I didn't go all psycho. I probably should have. But I didn't. I just went back inside. And tried to cool down.

Hard to do, when the outside temps are near 100. You can just imagine what it was like inside my house. With no AC. But I tried. I could feel my blood boiling over. And somehow, he just knew. Before I knew it, My Music Man was at my front door...

He came over to help. He knew I had a lot of work to do. And he is only here, until the middle of the week. So we had sorta planned things out. He'd come over and help for a few hours. Well, nothing was getting done. I was getting madder by the second. And a certain hombrecito, well, he suggested we head over to his house.

You see, last week we made plans. Which included taking Big M out to dinner. That was the plan for Sunday night. So we headed to his house. He put on the NASCAR race, made me lunch, and left me to cool off. I was that mad!

Meanwhile, he left. To go pick up Big M. By the time he got back, he had Mi Princesa, and Little M. Oh, and My Jellybean. :) 4 girls, 3 sisters, 2 Goddaughters. Oh, and Jeff Gordon won the race! Things were looking up.

We went out to dinner. At the Double Eagle. Yum! Everyone thoroughly enjoyed dinner. About 20 people came to our table. To compliment us on our beautiful and well behaved daughters. :) Do I look that nuts? 4 under 5? But we smiled and said Thanks.

And we met my favorite chef...My Music Man's little brother. He works at the restaurant that is 1/2 a block away. He met us at the Candy Store. Where we all had some yummy ice cream. Well, My Jellybean had some leche. :)

The girls ran around. We may or may not have taken a detour. You know, for some new toys. :) There was a little bit of Echo watching. And pleading with a certain uncle for the videos. And eventually, we got them home by 10PM. We're such a bad influence! But their parents' all looked very happy. A few hours without the kiddos...

I got home to find the party in full swing. And my neighbor managed to party until 3AM! I was not a happy camper. At all! Third night in a row! But I had plans on Monday. To CLEAN my yard. I didn't care how it was getting done. Or who was still partying next door. I was going to be cleaning!

At sunrise, My Music Man showed up. And we got to work. Pulling and dragging dead tree limbs. Every single time it is windy, at least 4 big limbs break from my trees. We pulled weeds. Bagged leaves. Where were they from? I have no clue. We picked trash off my fence. Mowed the lawn. Pulled out the grass in the flowerbeds. And did whatever else needed to be done. I had just cleaned my yard. The day before I left for my hometown...

My neighbor, she wasn't happy. At 6:15AM, she was screaming at me. At 6:30AM, she was cussing out My Music Man. By 7AM, I had 3 bags full of broken beer bottles, and 2 of cans. She was also calling her dad.

By 8AM, my old neighbor, was apologizing to me. I wasn't trying to make his daughter look bad. But I wanted him to see what I was dealing with. We had pictures. And bags of trash. She was still screaming. The 2 elderly neighbors, one lives across the street, the other next door, soon joined us. And we all talked.

I think things were sorta figured out. That nut job was still screaming. Her dad was still apologizing. Her little girl was crying, and her ex, well he was just trying to pick up their daughter. And he was thanking me for his daughter's birthday present. The same one, that had been thrown at me, just an hour before. I'm pretty sure, the dresses had gotten dirty. But little A was in heaven with her present.

All this time, My Music Man had my back. He defended me. Kept his cool. And tried to help me keep mine. Which at this point, was tough. After all the excitement died down, we got back to work. And by 1PM, we were ready to die! Red faces, 2 broken shovels, and 20 bags of yard waste, we were done. He went home. I went inside to clean up.

I was gone for days. Yes, days. As in, less than a week! And my yard got that bad. You see, I spend about 2-3 hours working in my yard. Every single day. During the summer. It's that big. And requires that kind of maintenance. Some days, I just wish that it was all dirt...

But my friend, he was there to help. And he even came back...with lunch. This evening, he returned. With Big M, some flower bulbs, and ice cream sundaes. We enjoyed the shady part of the yard. Ate all of our ice cream. Big M helped plant the bulbs. And my psycho neighbor yelled until her roommate came home.

Friends like this, they don't come around often. And I don't just mean the ones that bring you stuff. I mean the ones that are there for you. I can sit here all night, and tell you about the amazing things he does. Like going to Patrick's funeral. Just in case I needed him. Or protecting me from my psycho stalker. Or bringing me chicken noodle soup, when I had the flu.

He's a great guy. An amazing friend. And one of the best people I know. Who else, would spend their days off...helping me with my yard work? Or taking a bunch of kiddos out to dinner. Or putting up with my cranky butt? Not many.

I'm glad that we're friends. I'm glad that we met...almost 10 years ago! And that he talked to me every single day...until I caved. Because My Music Man is much more than a friend. We're starting to feel a heck of a lot like familia. More than family. You know, we were just meant to find each other. ♫

No comments: