Saturday, June 4, 2011

Ranunculus



Last year, I literally stumbled over flower bulbs at Dollar General. I never knew that they sold them. When did this happen? And I ended up buying a few packages. Some lilies, gladiolas, and ranunculus.

I planted them all! Almost immediately when I got home. And I had such hopes for them. I watered every other day. Waited. Pulled weeds. Got rid of the grass that was trying to take over. But nothing. No flowers. Not even a hint of a flower.

So I did some research. I had planted the bulbs according to the package directions. But after reading some information online, I realized I hadn't done something important. Something that wasn't on the package. I hadn't placed the bulbs in warm water, before planting.

Then we had that horrible freeze in February. My neighbors lost all their roses. Some of my bulbs didn't return. My tulips froze. But there was some hope. Like my palm tree. Which is fighting to live. I've seen signs of my ranunculus.

Yes! I might actually get a few of these beauties. I'm so super excited. I think they're such a pretty flower. And like my peonies that magically appeared, these little guys are growing. I have so much hope for my flowers. Maybe that horrible freeze wasn't so bad after all! ♫

No comments: